This Is Peru!

This Is Peru!

July 5, 2011

Great News from Jordan! Prepare yourselves......!‏

Oh my dear family (and loved ones)… Do I have some news for you!
Well, this week has been really great. First item of business. I am out of Juliaca. Last Tuesday, President Calderón called me. He asked how I was doing, if my comp and I got along, if there was anything that he could do for me, etc. To quote his words, he said, “Elder Christensen, I have some good news! Well, I don’t know if it will be good news for you, but it sure is for me! The Lord has called you to work as the new Financial Secretary for the Perú Cusco Mission! You’ll be the money man.” So…. I was SURPRISED to say the least. I am now right in the middle of Cusco, serving in the office! Elder Samuelson is training me right now how to do everything.  He is from Provo, and has been in the office for almost 8 months! So, needless to say, I will be here for a very long time. My new companion is... Drum roll please……. WHITE! Jajajaja, well, not exactly, because he’s black!! He is Elder Williams from Washington D.C.  He is so great. We already get along really well, and we have so much fun. We elders in the office all live together, which I LOVE. We live with the Assistants, as well. They are all great. We live in a really cool apartment, and we eat on the floor below us… which is the Stake Presidents house! His wife can COOK! We eat really well. In the mornings we even get cereal! Corn Flakes, Fruit Loops (Peruvian style), Cap’n Crunch (I almost passed out when I saw that box), and so on.  =) She also washes our clothes. Another cool thing about being in the office, we have P-day on two days… But not two full days, its two half days. Saturday in the morning, and Monday in the evening. Not too bad, right? I really like it a lot better too.  We work in the office every morning until lunch, and after we go out and work in the streets.
We have some really awesome investigators here in Cusco, but I tell you what. It was a lot harder to leave Juliaca and all of the people/investigators than I thought. If all goes well, my comp will have/or will be baptizing 3-4 people. If the Torres family gets baptized, it will be in a couple weeks. They couldn’t attend church, so the baptismal date was pushed back. I just hope that my old comp, or my “son”, will keep being diligent with them and get them in the water!  Poor Hermana Paulita…. She made my heart break to see her cry when I left. : ( I miss her a ton. She was honestly like my grandmother away from home. “Mamita Paulita” is what I always called her. I hope that I will be able to see her and her family again. They were SO great. One of my converts, Jaime, (pronounced Hi-may, he’s a guy) also cried when I told him I’d be leaving. When President called me, he also said, “You will leave tonight, and start your training tomorrow.” So, thanks Pres! I had less than 5 hours to try and say bye to everyone. I couldn’t say bye to everyone, unfortunately. So, that was a big bummer.  
So, my package didn’t get here yet. That’s kind of a bummer. I don’t know why or where it could be, but it should be here! Being in the office is nice that way, when mail comes in, I get it right at that instant! So when it gets here, I will let you know. I hope the popcorn isn’t gross now.. I would be sad about that.  Johnny should be back in the states by now, I gave him our info, including your phone numbers. He might give you a call, so don’t be too surprised, jaja.
I have had my first tacos in Perú!!! I was sooo stoked. A member invited the assistants to have dinner, and the other assistant was traveling with President, so I went with Elder Huntsman. So great… I have actually lost weight! I have lost around 13 pounds since leaving the states. Bummer. I’m pretty skinny... That’s what Puno and Juliaca will do to you. But, I hear we eat really well here in the office, and I’m working out every morning with Huntsman, so I’m hoping to put some meat back on my bones! : ) Anyway family and loved ones, I hope all is well back at home! I am really loving my mission. I am so stoked to be working in the office! We have cell phones as well! Cool huh? Jaja, anyway. Take care everyone. I’ll talk to you next week! Oh, and I love the thermals. They are amazing. Thanks!
Hope you enjoy the pics! Dad, set up Flickr! Get on it! I miss your facesss....
Love, your Peruvian son, brother, and friend,
Elder Christensen
Secretario Financiero
Misión Perú Cusco
(51) 984-503-861
(51) 84-242-521
RPM #623574
 
[written from my computer in the office! :) ]
 







No comments:

Post a Comment