This Is Peru!

This Is Peru!

July 5, 2011

From Cuzco, With Love

This week was a pretty good week. Besides the fact that I have still been pretty sick, its been great! Lets see.. Where to start… Well, first off, the elders that were here from Puno all were finally sent back, after being here for 11 days.  They’re all back to working in their old sectors. As for us in the office, we now have a lot more peace in our apartment. The unity notch has been turned up as well in the office. Before, there wasn’t a whole lot. But now, we’re working out the kinks and were gettin down to business. We’ve started to have a weekly inventory where we all get together and just sit down to try and work out any problems that we have. Its really cool.

Sometimes I don’t feel too much like a missionary when we are in the office so much. That is kinda hard, but we try to do all that we can so that we continue to feel like missionaries. I miss being out in the field 24/7. I do, but then again, I cant complain. We have so many privileges being in the office. We had a meeting with the Pres last week, and he straight up told us that we are very lucky to be in the office working. He said that he doesn’t just choose any missionary to work here, but he chooses the best. That made me feel really good, to be told that by president. So pretty cool!

Anyway, this last Saturday, we had a baptism! Her name is Alicia, and we have been teaching her for only a few weeks. She decided to be baptized in Sicuani, which is where her parents live. We were able to travel to Sicuani, because she wanted me to baptize her. We traveled to Sicuani, which is about 3 hours away, and we had the elders that are working there help us get the font and everything set up. It was a great program. The only part that was bad, was that the water heater broke. So, I had to baptize her in ice water! She could have cared less about the temperature, but being sick, the ice water sounded a lot less attractive to me. Oh well, I said, and we stepped into the water. The first foot in sent goosebumps across my entire body.. We stepped completely in, practically shivering, and I set her up. Her wrist in my hand, and her hand on my wrist, you know how it goes. Then I started the prayer. But I kid you not, as soon as I started that prayer, the cold disappeared. Completely. I even felt a warmth… It was so strange, but I continued, finished, and baptized her. Even walking out of the font, I felt no cold! What an amazing experience. I will never forget that baptism. The following day, yesterday, she was confirmed a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

The situation about if we’ll be kicked out or not is still up in the air. We as missionaries are way out of the loop, but I feel like we will stay. I don’t think that he would be so crazy as to do something like that, but then again, he was buddy buddy with the president of Venezuela, and he kicked the North Americans out of his country… So I guess we’ll find out! I’m not worried though.

I’m so glad to hear that you are all doing well! Why did you have Tanners party already? He’s still like a week shy of his birthday? I got all the pics dad, thanks! But try to set up Flickr if you can. Lots easier and my inbox doesn’t get crammed with pictures. That’s awesome that Bridge had such a good time! I’m stoked that him and Eth loved it so much. And dad, about what you were telling me, give Bridge a high five for me alright? Haha, too great. :)  

So, all in all, this week has been good and my time here in the office continues to improve. I am learning more, and I’m starting to get a hang of it. Its pretty stressful, but that’s okay. It’s a part of the job! Jaja, I love the mission. I don’t know if I have told you guys this yet, but I will be coming home a change early so that I can start school in August. So, I will be home in July sometime next year. Crazy huh? Next month I can basically say I’ll be home in a year! If I don’t come back a transfer early, I would get home the end of August, and that just won’t work. I want to hit the ground running as soon as I’m back. That means working and going to school. Sound good? :)

Anyway, I hope is well with all of you. Miss you guys a ton! Hope this week is a good one, and Bridge, don’t forget to email me, a’ight? :) Love you all so much! Keep in touch…

Your Peruvian missionary, brother, and buddy…
--
ELDER CHRISTENSEN
Secretario Financiero
Misión Perú Cuzco
(51) 984-503-861
(51) 084-242-521
RPM #623574

p.s. enjoy the pics, that Rottweiler is our bishops.. and it's just a baby! And he likes to play... with his teeth.






No comments:

Post a Comment