This Is Peru!

This Is Peru!

September 2, 2011

I'm a soldier, in the army of the Lord.‏

Seres queridos,

How is everyone? I hope this week went by just as fast as it did for me! The best weeks seem to always go by so fast… A lot has happened in the short span of 7 days, let’s see if I can update everyone.

Firstly, last Monday, the stake president’s brother, Edwin, invited all the office elders over to his house for dinner. He cooked tacos!! Oh man, were they good. I got two down, and couldn’t take another bite. Homemade tortillas, ground beef, guacamole, and to top it off, homemade salsa! I was so happy that night. The salsa here KICKS. The Peruvians have a special pepper that I doubt is easily found in the states, its called the Rocoto. It’s really spicy, but has a good flavor. They mixed tomatoes, cilantro, onions, and rocoto together to make a really delicious salsa. We also had some cold Inca Kola to wash it down… MMMmm….. Sounds tasty doesn’t it? Well, it was! Jajajaja

Lisett Callapiña is.. er.. was one of our investigators that we had been visiting for about 3 weeks. On Saturday, she made the decision to be baptized and to follow her Savior Jesus Christ. It was a great service, and she chose to have our ZL, Elder Rogers from South Jordan baptize her. Yesterday, she was confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Just barely after her confirmation, she whispered something to the bishop, he nodded his head, and she went over to the pulpit and started to bear her testimony! Wow, I thought to myself. The first thing she said was, “I’m so grateful to Joseph Smith for restoring this true church.” She continued to thank my companion and I while sharing her testimony, and finished. After church, she invited all the missionaries over to her home to eat. Her family members are not members, but they gladly invited us into their home. Her father cooked mixed ceviche for all of us. The bishop was also there, as well as some of her friends that she had made in the church. It was DELICIOUS. We know it’s a rule not to eat it, but being in the situation that we were in, we couldn’t turn it down. (Not like we had a hard time with it either! Haha) Her mom and dad had cooked a ton, and we were so grateful to them for it. The mixed ceviche contains: squid, octopus, shrimp, and fish. All raw, except for the shrimp. They served it with a piece of choclo (corn on steroids), deep fried octopus, cooked corn nut type things,  seaweed, lots of onions, and two pieces of sweet potato (“camote” {cah-moh-tay} in Spanish).  That’s what a typical plate of ceviche is. I’ve included a photo, so you can see what its like. I’m learning how to prepare it as well, so prepare your stomachs now for when I get back! You ALL are going to try it. :)

As for our other investigators, Victor Luna has a baptismal date for this Friday at 4 in the afternoon! He is stoked. He had some doubts about being baptized twice, but we explained everything to him. In Acts 19:1-6, we read that Paul baptized these people a second time. Why? Because they had not received the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands. So, even though they were baptized correctly by immersion, without receiving the Holy Ghost, their baptism was not complete. I also really like Mark 10:38-39, where Jesus Himself explains that we are to be baptized with His same baptism. We cleared up that doubt, and he agreed to be baptized on Friday. We have an appointment with them tomorrow, and Wednesday, so we are hoping to encourage his wife to be baptized with her husband on the same day. They have attended church the past 3 weeks, and she is great. So please keep them in your prayers.

Also, we have been visiting an inactive family trying to get them to come back to church. The dad, is very stubborn, and says he has his "reasons" why he doesn't attend anymore. But his daughter will be 9 on Friday, so we are going to baptize her on Saturday! He totally approves her baptism, and that's the important thing. Her name is Merli. Such a sweet little girl. She loves it when we come over. I'll have to send the pic of the family night we had with them and a bunch of kids in the neighborhood. A picture is included. Merli is the one that's sitting on my lap.

I thought of some more little things that you guys could include in the next package: The Dazer 2. It’s a high pitched device that scares dogs away. Also.. another memory card for the camera would be nice. And... PLEASE, I really want that film camera... the one that Uncle Mike gave to Ethan. If you can't find it, then send mine that should be in my closet in a camera bag. PRETTY PLEASE!! And thank you. We will be going to Machu Picchu before the year is over, and I would LOVE to have that with me when I go.

The work really is going well. I am enjoying my time in the office with my new comp Elder Whittaker! We tear it up out here. We are being really obedient; getting to bed on time, getting up at 6:25 for comp prayer, and everything in between. I know that that sounds easy, but for other elders in the office/mission, not so much. We are trying to be a good example.   (edited out, don't ask why...LOL)   It’s kind of hard when other missionaries are kinda lax on the rules, but I know that when we are meticulously obedient, is when we receive the most blessings. I love this gospel with all my heart. It brings so much joy to me being here in Perú. When we are truly happy, we don’t think about home, or the things that would distract us. We think about this amazing work that we are doing, and that we are preparing the way of the Lord. After all, we only have these 2 years to serve how we choose… and we have eternity to think about how we spent them. Elder Whittaker looked at me the other day and said, “Dude, we really are on the front lines, aren’t we?” And it’s true! We as missionaries fight for the truth every day. We don’t back down, and we don’t give up. I’m a soldier in the army of the Lord.

Till next week everyone, much love.


--
ELDER CHRISTENSEN
Secretario Financiero

Misión Perú Cuzco

(51) 984-503-861

(51) 084-242-521

RPM #623574












No comments:

Post a Comment