This Is Peru!

This Is Peru!

May 24, 2010

Not just 12 weeks...

On May 5th, 2010 my future for the next two years was decided.

Still asleep, my dad comes in my room, wakes me up, and says the phone is for me. I look at the time, seeing it was 7 something in the am, I wondered who in the world would want me on the phone at such an awful hour. Come to find out its our mail-woman, calling and informing me that a large envelope with my name on it, preceded by the title "
Elder", had arriv
ed. She gave me the option to come pick it up or wait until the mail came. My heart jumped up in my throat, and any and all sleepiness disappeared in an instant. My mission call was finally here.

I jumped out of bed still in sleepi
ng attire, (or the lack thereof) and went to tell my dad the news. I think he was more expectant that it would come that day, and seeing the post office was calling, he put two and two together. He told me that I should go inform my mother of the news... He didn't realize that I had already made plans to surprise her.

My dad went upstairs nonchalantly, got his keys, and I went out the back door up to the garage. After getting to the post office, I rang the bell and sure enough, she showed up with MY mission call. She also told me that Hunters call had came that day as well, but she couldn't get a hold of him. I thanked her, told her I would tell Hunter, and was on my way. I sat in the quiet car for a couple minutes just holding it in my hands. I don't know what it was, but I got kind of emotional. My call from the Lord was finally in my hands. Its been a long time coming.

I got home, and waited at the garage
door because I could hear mom moving about in the laundry room. After I thought the coast was clear, I walked in very quietly. I didn't see her, and my dad informed me she was in the bathroom. Haha. So I walked over to the bathroom, and proceeded to slip the envelope under the door. There was about 8 seconds of silence, then came the response, "Are you kidding me. Really?" I just laughed and let her take it in. After the initial shock was over, we realized that we had A LOT to do. So I ran to the store and got the things she listed for me while everyone pitched in and cleaned up whatever needed to. We had time though, people weren't supposed to show up until 7:30 or so.

Everyone went to Hunters house beforehand to see him open his mission call. He was called to the Mexico, Tuxtla Gutierrez Mission! I'm way stoked for him! There are so many of us that are serving Spanish spea
king missions, it's almost weird. Only a select few are serving in the States, and a couple in Europe. The rest are in Central and South America.

Afterward, everyone kind of just migrated up to my place. Family from both sides of the family were there, as well as many, many friends, and families from the ward as well. Cars were literally lined up down both sides of the street, pretty far. As soon as 8 o'clock rolled around, it was game time. I thanked everyone for coming, and asked my dad to say a prayer before we began. As soon as he opened his mouth I felt the Spirit so strongly. After the prayer, I took a deep breath and slowly opened the letter. I wanted to read it line by line, so I quickly flipped the letter underneath the mission packet. Slowly I slid the mission packet down, first revealing "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints," then, "May 4th 2010," and finally, "Dear Elder Christensen:"

The letter goes as follows:
"Dear Elder Christensen:

You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Peru Cusco Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 24 months.

You should report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, September 1, 2010. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language. Your assignment may be modified according to the needs of the mission president."

It was such an amazing experience, just knowing that I am meant to go to Peru, love the people, and bring them to the knowledge of our Savior Jesus Christ and his restored church on the Earth again today. Words could not describe my excitement! The Peru Cusco Mission is brand new, who knows, maybe thats why it took so long! My mission wasn't open just yet.

So after a few tears were shed, the congratulating began. Come to find out that many people I know have been to Cusco for various reasons. From seeing Machu Picchu, to volunteering at an orphanage for 4 months. I am grateful for the knowledge that they are able to share with me! It makes me that much more excited to serve! With my dad having served his mission in Detroit Michigan, and my mom having served hers in Boston Massachusetts, I thought I was for sure going state-side. And if not state-side, I thought maybe Europe. But I was way wrong. I couldn't have picked a better place. Although it took 12 weeks from the time my papers were submitted for my call to get to me, it was worth the wait.

And hey, I've waited
all my life for this. Not just 12 weeks.



  2. Hi I was trying to find some info about the Peru Cusco mission and I found your blog. I love it. My brother serves that mission. His name is Elder Manrique and he's been there for 15 months now! Time flies! Good luck.

  3. hey Elder, i was just trying to get more info about the Peru Cusco Mission and i found your blog haha...hope everythings going well :) ive been assigned to serve in the Peru Cusco Mission as well, so hope i see u around there...

  4. Hello Christensen family! My son is in the same mission. Elder Hollingsworth Maybe they know each other? Love your pictures!